Bowling Green State University

BGSU
Bowling Green State University

Background Information: Located only 23 miles south of Toledo, Bowling Green State University is a public institution that is nationally prominent for its ability to prepare students for careers in the fields of education and business. While BGSU’s main campus resides in Bowling Green, Ohio, a town with a population of about 30,000 people, the University also maintains a two-year college option at its Firelands campus, in Huron, Ohio. Founded in 1910, with a vision to serve as an environment that is rooted in “intellectual discovery and guided by rational discourse and civility,” BGSU believes that “wisdom, sound judgment, tolerance and respect for other persons, cultures and ideas are the hallmarks of an educated person and the characteristics that the University hopes to develop in its students.” (BGSU website)

Initial Thoughts:

I don't really know what to say about BGSU other than that I've never been impressed with it. Starting from my own college search (which took place a couple of years ago) and until now, I've never found BGSU to be anything special. I know that's a bit harsh, but all of my encounters with BGSU have involved people telling me how much they did not enjoy their experiences at the institution, and have consequently decided to transfer "back" to OSU. I think the reason why I've never had much regard for BGSU is because I've always been one to "dismiss" party schools --- not that there is anything wrong with them, but for me, I've never wanted to be in an environment where one feels obligated to participate in such activities because there is "nothing else to do." I realize that this is not the best mindset to have going into a review, but I am hoping that BGSU will change my mind for the better -- and I certainly look forward to it.

Notable features: virtual tour --- but I have to say that I find this virtual tour to be unhelpful since there weren't enough pictures of the physical campus itself. Oh, and although I cannot link this, I thought the BGSYou video was a nice addition to the website. Please check the university's website in order to view the video.

The Campus

  • Layout - BGSU's campus is basically one big rectangle. Inside this rectangular shaped campus, BGSU is composed of a few distinct sections such as Fraternity Row (home to the Greek organizations), Central Campus (academic buildings), Old Campus (historic buildings, administrative offices, academic buildings), just to name a few. Unlike other Universities, BGSU does not divide itself into quadrangles, and its campus layout is a bit random. According to a current BGSU student, current students refer to the different locations on campus as either North, South, East, or West. She also acknowledged the confusing nature of BGSU's campus, citing that it's not very "visitor-friendly."

  • Architecture - I think my biggest complaint about BGSU is the fact that it just looks very plain. All of the buildings are the same color, and while this usually adds to a cohesive feel, BGSU's students look so similar that it's hard to distinguish between one from the other. I have to admit that I had a horrible time trying to caption the campus photos because they all looked so much alike! The architecture of the buildings itself is nothing noteworthy -- it just looks very standard without much "flair" in its style.

  • Scale - Aside from the football stadium, everything at BGSU is within a 10 to 15 minute walk. It is definitely a residential campus (there are those safety Blue Lights everywhere), and students feel generally safe walking from one end to the other. Of course, no matter how safe a campus is, it's always good to be mindful of one's surroundings and of the time of day.

  • The Student Center - BGSU's Bowen-Thompson Student Union is home to the following services: a food court, Starbucks, Wendy's, The Black Swamp Pub, Campus Bookstore, a convenience store, on-campus post office, a movie theater, student lounges and meeting spaces, and a few computer labs.

  • Student Living - As far as living on campus goes, I was informed that most students do choose to live on campus at BGSU since there is a 2-year campus living requirement that all incoming freshmen are required to sign. BGSU is home to around 17 residence facilities, housing around 7,000 students annually. In terms of campus living, there are a few options to choose from, provided that you are willing to pay a little extra. For an example, in addition to the 17 residence halls, BGSU students can either live in houses with their Greek organizations, in off campus apartments, or in residential learning and theme communities. Each Living Community serves a different purpose; for an example, the Arts Village is typically home to those who are trying to become more in-tuned with their creative side, citing that it is the Village’s mission to “explore all aspects of the arts and sharing views with one another and faculty of various disciplines.”

  • Notable Attractions - I have to say that my favorite thing about BGSU is its Thinker sculpture. Rising from the ground grass of Olscamp Hall, the Thinker statue is a quirky addition to an otherwise uninspiring looking campus. Check out the photo here. I can honestly say that it put a smile on my face when I saw it since it just seemed so random and out of place!
Final Conclusions: As you can probably tell, I am not particularly fond of BGSU's campus. I didn't think it was aesthetically appealing in any sense, just plain and a bit boring to look at. I know this sounds very harsh, but I think a college campus should be a place that inspires you to learn. For me, I didn't see anything awe-inspiring about BGSU's campus. I found it to be very disappointing.

The reason why I am being so hard on BGSU is because I have high expectations for every college campus. After all, aside from being the host of numerous parties and fun excursions, college campuses should ignite in you a desire to attain the higher education that you seek. I think everyone should have that awestruck feeling at least once at their respective institutions; the moment when you gaze upon a building/sculpture/etc on your own campus with such reverence, knowing that the great alums who came before you stood at the very spot you are standing (as awestruck as you are) and had "the next great idea." I know this sounds very romanticized and a bit unrealistic, but I think you understand my point. I think whatever college that you may decide on should inspire you in every sense of the word -- in the classroom and outside of it (literally). Now, I know what you may be thinking ... looks aren't everything. You're right. They're not. However, I think that the moment someone falls in love with a school, they are falling first for the campus itself (and then the rest after that) --- so yes, looks are not everything ... but they do matter.

Photostream of BGSU: view the campus in pictures!

Still not convinced? Experience it for yourself! Schedule a visit today!

No comments:

Post a Comment