Xavier University

Xavier University
Xavier University

Background Information: A private Jesuit Catholic institution founded in 1831, Xavier University “aims to provide all students with a supportive learning environment which offers opportunities for identifying personal needs, setting goals, and developing recreational and aesthetic interests and skills for daily living and leadership. The self-understanding and interpersonal development that result are vital corollaries to a student’s academic development.” Home to about 4,000 undergraduate students, Xavier is considered one of Ohio’s smaller universities located in urban Cincinnati, Ohio and emphasizes the merits of a liberal arts education. The university also stresses the connection between a strong religious life and one’s intellectual pursuits, encouraging students to “find God in all things.” (Xavier website)

Initial Thoughts: Not too much to say in this area -- I knew some people who went to XU, but never put it on my college list because I wanted to get out of Ohio (ironically enough, I only applied to 2 out-of-state schools) and Cincinnati was not far enough away. I know some of you are looking for any college outside of Ohio, and while I understand the need to get away from home, I just have to assure you that college is different from any academic institution that you have experienced because it is truly its own entity. College feels like its own world, connected and distant (I know this is paradoxical) from the rest of reality. But I digress --- most of you won't know what I am talking about until you experience it for yourself. Anyway, I just want to tell you not shy away from any potentially "perfect" school for you because it is based in Ohio. I started this blog because I know that Ohio has a lot to offer -- you just have to be proactive and look around. Enough preaching ... on with the review!

The Campus
  • Layout: Located on a 160-acre campus, Xavier’s campus is small by most standards, but not necessarily confining. I’m trying to figure out how to describe the campus in one phrase, and the phrase that keeps popping up in my head is “well-kept.” I realize this is quite unhelpful, but I think if you tour Xavier for yourself, you will see what I mean. Xavier’s campus isn’t stunning, it isn’t ugly, but it is a little bland.

    For the most part, Xavier can be described by its two "malls" (long stretches of land) and the buildings that branch off from the green space. First, we have Academic Mall, a stretch of land framed by the academic and administrative buildings. At the end of Academic Mall, you will find Residential Mall, which obviously is home to the residence halls on campus. The other buildings (not including the academic/administrative and residence halls) seem to branch off from these "malls," lying adjacent to the buildings already indicated. Since it is situated right next to a road, the buildings curve and straighten in accordance to the road; the campus is a closed campus, so with the exception of a few semi-major road ways, XU is an entity unto itself. I understand that this might be a little confusing, but I think you will see what I am talking about if you look at this map.

  • Architecture: All of the buildings have a tan coloring to it, and while this isn’t necessarily inspiring, it definitely unites the campus as a whole in terms of layout. As for the buildings themselves, everything looks pretty standard except for Hinkle Hall, which looks like a castle. I'm kind of a sucker for medieval looking buildings, so it always makes me happy to encounter schools that play out my love for fairy tales. Anyway, I think the most "variety" that you will encounter in terms of buildings at Xavier will include Hinkle Hall, the Student Center, the Chapel, and the Cintas Center. Other than that, the buildings aren't particularly noteworthy. They have the standard equipment that you will expect, but nothing particularly mind-blowing.

  • Scale: XU's campus is pretty small, so I think you shouldn't expect to walk for more than 15 minutes to get from one end to the other. Also, although you are allowed to have a car on campus, most students find that you can survive at Xavier without a car. Most of what you will need will be found on campus. If you are looking for entertainment that XU cannot provide, then be sure to explore the Cincinnati area -- but my tour guide assured me that she rarely used the car that she brought with her.

  • The Student Center: The Gallagher Student Center is, by its own definition, "the hub of student activities." This facility provides the following resources for its students: pool tables, a food court, a laptop check out counter (laptops for free!), video games, a coffee shop, video store, as well as the bookstore and on-campus theater.

  • Student Living: At Xavier, about 95% of freshmen and sophomores (first and second years) live in on-campus housing. The reason why I am defining the class years is because juniors and seniors (third and fourth years) are not guaranteed housing on-campus during their final years of school; most of them will choose to move off-campus to nearby housing during their final years of school. As for the first year, here are a few of the options that are available: Brockman Hall (all freshmen, community styled rooms), Coleman Hall (freshmen and sophomores, suite-styled rooms), and Banger Hall (Honors and Athlete residence hall). Xavier does have themed housing available, but they change every year in accordance to the interest of their students.

  • Notable Attractions: The Cintas Center (basketball arena) is a sight to behold. It's a pretty cool arena, and I am sure it gets packed every winter since XU is a basketball school. As I am sure you are aware, because it is a basketball school, I think you will find that a significant portion of your life at Xavier will involve going to basketball games in the Cintas Center. If you are a lover of basketball, you will love Xavier. If you are not, I think you will find that you will come to love it before you leave XU! But yes, be sure to take a peek into the Cintas Center should you ever feel compelled (and I hope you do!) to visit Xavier.
Final Conclusions: I actually really enjoyed my visit quite a bit. The best thing about Xavier is the people who work there – no, the campus will not take your breath away (though it is still quite charming), but the people more than make up for it. I encountered some of the friendliest people while on my visit to Xavier, and as a person who has talked to many Admissions counselors and tour guides this summer, I can assure you that this is saying a lot. Xavier is definitely a place where everyone knows your name; I think it would be very hard to get lost in the crowd at Xavier, and those who are looking for a faith-oriented, welcoming environment should look into Xavier as a possible option. I think you will like what you will find.

Photostream of Xavier: see the campus in pictures!

Still not convinced? Experience it for yourself! Schedule a visit today!

No comments:

Post a Comment